August 11, 2009
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
59TH Annual Pebble Beach Concours Stats and Facts
PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. (Aug. 11, 2009) – The 59th Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance is Sunday, Aug. 16. What began as a little gathering for car buffs in central California’s Del Monte Forest has blossomed into the world’s Concours. The Pebble Beach Golf Links® are closed only once each year -- the third weekend in August when the 18th fairway welcomes an international collection of automotive style, performance and history.
• The Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance was founded in 1950.
• The Lodge at Pebble Beach™ (formerly the Del Monte Lodge) has been the host of the Concours since the event’s inception.
• Nearly 30 cars were on display 59 years ago.
• Bentley, a featured marque at the 2009 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance, will have the largest presence on the show field. The Concours is also celebrating Bugatti, Morgan and Audi centennials, as well as highlighting the styling of Zagato.
• Charles Morgan, Managing Director of Morgan Motor Company and grandson of company founder H.F.S. Morgan, will lead a special contingent of Morgans that will be driving in the Thursday, Aug. 13 Pebble Beach Tour d’Elegance, which includes a reception at the 239-year-old Carmel Mission.
• Special classes will include Ferrari 166 MM Touring Barchetta, Ferrari TR59 and Packard Vee-Windshield Dietrich.
• Motorcycles will appear on the Concours show field for the first time. The first motorcycle class will showcase British bikes built through 1959.
• More than 200 cars and motorcycles will line the 18th hole of Pebble Beach Golf Links® for the Aug. 16 Concours. There are 32 classes including four display classes. The overall winner – Best of Show – is selected from among the judged class winners.
• Participants will bring cars to Pebble Beach from 30 states and 19 countries (including the U.S.). Cars will be traveling from as far away as Hong Kong and Australia; they began shipping well before the summer.
• Tonight Show host Jay Leno, who was a 2004 Pebble Beach Concours class winner with his 1916 Crane-Simplex Model 5 Holbrook Skiff, will display his 1928 Bugatti Type 37A 2 Seat Sports. He will also participate on-stage during Sunday’s Concours award ceremonies.
• Emmy and Tony Award winner Edward Herrmann will serve as the Concours’ Master of Ceremonies for the 11th consecutive year.
• The Concours will display 100 years of the automobile, from the oldest car on the field, a 1910 Daimler 57HP Hooper Limousine, to several 2011 concept vehicles.
• Manufacturers use the Concours as a new-car showcase for the more than 800 national and international media who cover Pebble Beach Auto Week.
• Over 20 concept and new cars will be featured during the weekend, including vehicles from Aston Martin, Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Devon Motor Works, Ferrari, Fisker Automotive, Hyundai, Iconic Motors, Infiniti, Jaguar, Lexus, Lincoln, Lotus, Mercedes-Benz, Morgan, Porsche, Rolls-Royce, Spyker, Stile Bertone, and Tramontana.
• The Concours raised more than $1 million for local charities in 2008, which means the annual event has contributed well over $12 million to philanthropic organizations through the years.
• More than 700 volunteers support the Pebble Beach Concours, including several dozen who travel to Pebble Beach from outside the U.S.
First conducted in 1950, Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance® (www.pebblebeachconcours.net) has grown to become the world’s premier celebration of the automobile. Only the most beautiful and rare cars are invited to appear on the famed 18th fairway of Pebble Beach Golf Links®, and connoisseurs of art and style flock to see these masterpieces. Charitable donations raised by Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance® now total over $10 million. Related events include the Pebble Beach Tour d’Elegance™ presented by Rolex, Pebble Beach RetroAuto™, and Pebble Beach® Auction presented by Gooding & Company.
Pebble Beach®, Pebble Beach Golf Links®, Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance®, Pebble Beach Tour d’Elegance™, and Pebble Beach RetroAuto™ are trademarks, service marks and trade dress of Pebble Beach Company. All rights reserved.
Pebble Beach Company, headquartered in Pebble Beach, Calif., owns and operates the world-famous Pebble Beach Resorts®, including The Lodge at Pebble Beach™, The Inn at Spanish Bay™ and Casa Palmero®. The company also operates four renowned golf courses: Pebble Beach Golf Links®, Spyglass Hill® Golf Course, The Links at Spanish Bay™ and Del Monte™ Golf Course. Its other famed properties include the scenic 17-Mile Drive® and The Spa at Pebble Beach™. In addition to the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance®, Pebble Beach Resorts® annually hosts the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am, The Walmart First Tee Open at Pebble Beach and the Callaway Golf Pebble Beach Invitational. Pebble Beach Golf Links® has hosted four U.S. Opens, four U.S. Amateurs, one PGA Championship, and will host its fifth U.S. Open in 2010. For reservations or more information please call (800) 654-9300 or visit the Website at www.pebblebeach.com.
Contact: PCGCampbell – Jeff Green (310) 224-4961 (firstname.lastname@example.org)